Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing - "Sometimes there's worse things than dying."

+7
eLIZabeth
Ruthie
Sarah
Erin
Angie
Kara
Dan
11 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Role-playing Game Role-Playing - "Sometimes there's worse things than dying."

Post by Dan Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:34 pm

So, in order for all of us to get to write together we kinda need a story. To satisfy this need I suggest we all start rubbing our brains together and see if we get a spark. Now don't be shy about contributing! Being a writer is dangerous, so if you think of an idea that's really exciting but scary, tell us anyway! We want to jump off the cliff with you! And we all have different skills so I'm looking forward to seeing this quilting bee come together.

Last edited by Dan on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:08 am; edited 16 times in total
Dan
Dan
Game Host
"Sassy Moderator Boy"
Game Host

https://thewritinggroup.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Role-playing Game Re: Role-Playing - "Sometimes there's worse things than dying."

Post by Kara Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:05 am

Just a quick little thought: what if we made this a really kinda creepy mystery or something and have people in the village start to disappear like And Then There Were None or something? I haven't had a story that made me freaked out in awhile and I thought it may be fun. Smile
Kara
Kara

Back to top Go down

Role-playing Game Re: Role-Playing - "Sometimes there's worse things than dying."

Post by Dan Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:48 am

Freaky. I like it. pirat I've never written creepy. How about the village is haunted? Or it's like, an ancient battleground where the spirits of the dead are still battling each other. And how about Lon's crew is sent to a) rescue some important person, b) bring the war to an end. I don't want them to be too much like ghost-busters, though, so I think I pick A. So the person has been kidnapped by one or the other side of ghosts (probably the bad side) and our characters have to rescue her. But it's not this city that they're in, they're just meeting their contact here and then they have to travel a long way to the haunted city. What think ye all?
Dan
Dan
Game Host
"Sassy Moderator Boy"
Game Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:42 pm

What if its like this: the ghosts are around, and everybody knows it. THEY aren't the creepy thing. The city is like, half inhabited by ghosts, and a lot of people come from everywhere to trade/otherstuff with them.
But there's something WORSE than the ghosts that is starting to make its presence known...
(Dan, this almost calls for Gervaise...)

I think my character's name is Jimmy. Has anyone else noticed that Jimmies barely EVER get hurt, and they're not usually main characters? Just a random thought. (If they're a main character, it's Jim or James).
So Jimmy is a nice guy, just minding his own business. He is a sort of busboy at the tavern. The thing with Jimmy is, he has really, really bad luck.
And that's Jimmy.
Angie
Angie

Location : In MusicalLand, where everybody can sing and dance and will do so, perfectly synchronized, at the drop of a hat!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Shocked You would give Gervaise to us? I'm . . . honored. Smile
Is it one something or a whole horde of dangerous somethings?

I'm really intrigued by the economy/ecology of this ghost town (which I shall henceforth call Vasol, if there are no objections). Like, how to the ghosts and the people interact? For one thing, what do the people have that the ghosts want? Ooo! How about artifacts that are scattered all over the world but the ghosts can't really leave the town so they have to pay other people to gather them up.

NUMBER ONE PRIORITY! EVERYONE PLEASE OPINE!
This crew that is going to solve the villagers' problems, what do they call themselves? It can be really cliché or something we make up, but they need a name. Once we've got them named, we'll call ourselves that instead of "The Writing Group."
Here are just some lousy ones that come to mind, either vote or contribute your own or modify mine: Ravens, Swift Blades, Senari (which means dealers-of-justice), Hand of Fate, Jackals, Rodent Riders, Road Muck, Polytalented Rogues, Long Shots, or, my personal favorite: Rapscallions. Cool
If you're having trouble deciding, remember we can always change it later but whatever name we pick will likely grow on us. It's just for fun! We're going to be awesome whatever name we choose we will apply our awesomeness to, rather than vice-versa. Smile
Dan
Dan
Game Host
"Sassy Moderator Boy"
Game Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Erin Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:42 pm

The crew obviously needs a fitting name. How about The Dark Brigade (For a more serious group), LIGHT (If we're always the good guys), The Vigilant (A nice in-between), or the Misfit Rouges (for kicks.) I'm just throwing names around. Any brilliant ideas out there?

Here's my two cents. Maybe the ghosts don't exactly have goods. They can communicate with other dead beings or something along those lines, and in exchange, people allow them to... Feed off their spirit/emotions/soul? Like desperate people looking for answers or closure about a lost loved one. Not that the ghosts take too much. Just enough to keep them going.

The something worse might be sucking away everything's life force. Then it would threaten the ghosts and people.

I'm going to go ahead and bring out my character. Fern is the resident thief. A pickpocket by nature and a lock-pick by training, she is capable, if not flawed. Because really, a very talkative, chronically late thief who can hardly hold her ale isn't exactly the best asset. But she does her best, and tries to not to make things worse. Key word, tries.
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Good ideas, Erin. cheers It's just made me realize that we don't really know what the group does to make a living. Are they hit-men? soldiers? mercenaries? What is it that makes them tick? Are they all really loyal or are they just kind of traveling together? Or maybe there is no group and during the course of the book a group is formed, like right now it's just Lon, Fern and their boss and then Jimmy comes with them and then a bunch of people in the village join them to help them out? There's a world of possibilities, which do we want? Anything we pick will be awesome, but it still deserves some thought.
Also, what are these people doing even going to the village?

Erin wrote:Here's my two cents. Maybe the ghosts don't exactly have goods. They can communicate with other dead beings or something along those lines, and in exchange, people allow them to... Feed off their spirit/emotions/soul? Like desperate people looking for answers or closure about a lost loved one. Not that the ghosts take too much. Just enough to keep them going.
Ooo, most excellent. Cool Smile This is a great idea. How about instead of feeding off them, the people just offer themselves when they die for the ghosts' expiation. That way the story could go something like this: Long ago there was a whole mess of people who got cursed and [blah blah, usual curse stuff]. Soon after the ghosts split into two groups: One group stayed in the village and lives peacefully with the people in the village, and other that went away because they were really angry and bitter. Now the angry group is back and they've decided to sacrifice people from the village in order to free themselves from the curse. This will give mystery a high priority in our story: People just start disappearing and communication with the good ghosts is disrupted so they can't tell us anything. Also we can make it creepy by saying that the evil ghosts (Reapers?) have to brainwash people and get them to commit suicide.

Questions:
  • Is it a group or just individuals?
  • Do they live in the village?
  • What can they do to stop the ghosts?

Edit: Okay, the way this brainstorming is progressing is a little awkward, so here's what we're going to do: We'll consider what I posted above as "canon" (what we're going to go with). Then the next person will "quote" me and edit my paragraph with what they think the story should be. (Include comments below so we'll know what the salamander you're talking about. Smile ) Then whoever's next will just edit that person's "canon"--either editing or adding to it--so that the paragraph will keep growing and getting more fleshed out as we go along.
So here's what our "canon" is right now:
Our story is a creepy ghost story in which a few friends notice that people have been disappearing in their town. This is because of two groups of ghosts: One group has been staying in the village and "lives" peacefully with the people in the village, and other that went away because they were really angry and bitter. Now the angry group is back and they've decided to sacrifice people from the village in order to free themselves from the curse. This will give mystery a high priority in our story: People just start disappearing and communication with the good ghosts is disrupted so they can't tell us anything. Also we can make it creepy by saying that the evil ghosts (Reapers?) have to brainwash people and get them to commit suicide.
Now quote me and edit in your own stuff. Smile
Note to Lurkers: Even if you just write a little tiny post that you don't think will help the story along, post anyway. Smile It'll let us know you're out there, and who knows, once you start writing a comment about the story it'll blossom into some awesome ideas. Cool
Dan
Dan
Game Host
"Sassy Moderator Boy"
Game Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:09 pm

Our story is a creepy ghost story in which a few friends notice that people have been disappearing in their town. This is because of two groups of ghosts: One group has been staying in the village and "lives" peacefully with the people in the village, and other that went away because they were really angry and bitter. Now the angry group is back and they've decided to sacrifice people from the village in order to free themselves from the curse. This will give mystery a high priority in our story: People just start disappearing and communication with the good ghosts is disrupted so they can't tell us anything. Also we can make it creepy by saying that the evil ghosts (Reapers?) have to brainwash people and get them to commit suicide.

One slightly morbid idea: The bad ghosts-who-steal-people should start picking through a school (ie child sacrifice or whatever). This has been your morbid idea of the day.
Kara
Kara

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:29 pm

[quote="Kara"]

Wow, my idea is turning REALLY dark, ain't it?
Ummm... maybe our people should be called the Ghostbusters! alien Psych. But you know it would work!

Okay, so my idea is this: I just think that the whole "soul-eating" thing is a little dark for the non-evil ghosts, so I thought, what if, in turn for the artifacts they're getting from the living world, they give, like, magical/whatever artifacts from their world?
And how about this: as part of the curse, each ghost has to acquire a certain item before they can rest. But they can't leave, hence the trading. HOWEVER, their is another way of fixing things, this is why there have been people disappearing. You see, getting the artifacts puts the ghosts to rest and they pretty much are gone forever. (Some ghosts don't do the whole artifact thing; they don't mind hanging around) The Reaper ghosts have discovered that by killing people or whatever, they can actually get closer to being alive again. But of course, they won't be really alive, per se, but for them, it's good enough. And they'll be like, unstoppable.
And maybe they get power through fear or some such.
Answering the questions, I think it should be individuals, who later become a group and decide to stay that way. And maybe they live outside town, that way if some evil thing takes over the town, they won't be involved. Of course, they all work in town so far...
What do you think?
Possible group names: Ruse, Enders (or Dead-enders), the Circle...
I like the Vigiliant, so I'd also like to add just straight-up, Vigil.
Also, I'm not sure about Vasol... it sounds like gasoline or something you clean with. I'll work on other possible names...

One more thing.... maybe, at night, there is a certain place that each ghost stays/haunts, whatever... and one of the jobs for humans in the city could be to help the old ghosts find those places at night. Due to the late hours and having to go to various hard to find spots in the city, it isn't a very popular job. I think if we use that, Jimmy might have it as a night job (this way he knows at least of few of the ghosts).

-Dan, maybe Gervaise could have a cameo!
Angie
Angie

Location : In MusicalLand, where everybody can sing and dance and will do so, perfectly synchronized, at the drop of a hat!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:47 pm

SWEET additions Angie, every time I come back here the story is getting more and more well-rounded. Love the way our ideas fit together.

Dan wrote:
Angela wrote:
Kara wrote:
Dan wrote:Our story is a creepy ghost story in which a few friends notice that people have been disappearing in their town. Now in the village there are lots of ghosts, but they're friendly. They trade artifacts with people in the village--usually something from this world for something from the world beyond. They are trying to get the artifacts they each need to expiate themselves from the curse they are under.
People are disappearing because of another group of ghosts that went away long ago because they were really angry and bitter. Now the angry group is back and they've decided to sacrifice people from the village. (Starting with a school of children). This will give mystery a high priority in our story: People just start disappearing and communication with the good ghosts is disrupted so they can't tell us anything. Also we can make it creepy by saying that the Reapers have to brainwash people and get them to commit suicide. The Reaper ghosts have discovered that by killing people or whatever, they can actually get closer to being alive again. But of course, they won't be really alive, per se, but for them, it's good enough.

Outline
  • A semi-boring incident before things get hectic.
  • First disappearance.
  • Second disappearance.
  • One of the old ghosts manages to drop a clue to the Rapscallions.
  • One of the Rapscallions goes missing.
  • Missing Rapscallion returns delirious.
  • Rapscallions go get an artifact deadly to the Reapers.
  • Big showdown.
  • Conclusion in which the Crew decides to stay together.
Okay, that's a REALLY rough outline. I just wanted to get some of the hard questions answered. And just so you guys know: It's fine to come up with answers to hard questions. If you're going along and you come to a plot hole, don't just say "we'll come back to that" it's better to tackle everything now. So get mad at the story! We're going to whip it into submission! Mad

Also, I figured out why the group would stay together afterwords: You see this thing with the ghosts isn't exactly isolated; This is the only place it's happening, but other bad things are happening all over the place. The entire country is in upheaval, so they band together to protect their town from the next wave of destruction that may sweep through.

My picks for a group name:
  • Rapscallions
  • Vigilant
  • Enders
Dan
Dan
Game Host
"Sassy Moderator Boy"
Game Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:16 am

[quote="Dan"]Good ideas, Erin. cheers It's just made me realize that we don't really know what the group does to make a living. Are they hit-men? soldiers? mercenaries? What is it that makes them tick? Are they all really loyal or are they just kind of traveling together? Or maybe there is no group and during the course of the book a group is formed, like right now it's just Lon, Fern and their boss and then Jimmy comes with them and then a bunch of people in the village join them to help them out? There's a world of possibilities, which do we want? Anything we pick will be awesome, but it still deserves some thought.
Also, what are these people doing even going to the village?

Erin wrote:Here's my two cents. Maybe the ghosts don't exactly have goods. They can communicate with other dead beings or something along those lines, and in exchange, people allow them to... Feed off their spirit/emotions/soul? Like desperate people looking for answers or closure about a lost loved one. Not that the ghosts take too much. Just enough to keep them going.
Ooo, most excellent. Cool Smile This is a great idea. How about instead of feeding off them, the people just offer themselves when they die for the ghosts' expiation. That way the story could go something like this: Long ago there was a whole mess of people who got cursed and [blah blah, usual curse stuff]. Soon after the ghosts split into two groups: One group stayed in the village and lives peacefully with the people in the village, and other that went away because they were really angry and bitter. Now the angry group is back and they've decided to sacrifice people from the village in order to free themselves from the curse. This will give mystery a high priority in our story: People just start disappearing and communication with the good ghosts is disrupted so they can't tell us anything. Also we can make it creepy by saying that the evil ghosts (Reapers?) have to brainwash people and get them to commit suicide.

Hey we're actually getting somewhere. Not that I've even contributed at all. - Sarah. (I don't know how to put in that "quote" thing so I'll just put my name in every time I intrude into someone's post.)

Questions:
  • Is it a group or just individuals?
  • Do they live in the village?
  • What can they do to stop the ghosts?

Edit: Okay, the way this brainstorming is progressing is a little awkward, so here's what we're going to do: We'll consider what I posted above as "canon" (what we're going to go with). Then the next person will "quote" me and edit my paragraph with what they think the story should be. (Include comments below so we'll know what the salamander you're talking about. Smile ) Then whoever's next will just edit that person's "canon"--either editing or adding to it--so that the paragraph will keep growing and getting more fleshed out as we go along.
So here's what our "canon" is right now:
Now quote me and edit in your own stuff. Smile
Note to Lurkers: Even if you just write a little tiny post that you don't think will help the story along, post anyway. Smile It'll let us know you're out there, and who knows, once you start writing a comment about the story it'll blossom into some awesome ideas. Cool

Ghenty Edit: Just highlighting what Sarah said.

Last edited by Dan on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:37 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : because I had an idea...)
Sarah
Sarah

Location : In Musicland to cause discord in Angie's perfect harmony..at the drop of a hat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:34 am

Oh boy. I need a character. Can mine come in way later and save the delirious Rapscallion that went missing? Let's say my character is a Ranger, that is, one who scopes out the area before an army enters into war. Yes! And then there could be a war going between the good ghosts and the bad ghosts. Rita (its an ok name) could look like an innocent girl-Ranger from the good ghost side, but is really a scathingly- brilliant- double-agent ranger from the dark side (so cliche). Rita could come upon the missing Rapscallion who fell into one of the bad ghost's clutches; and she could "save" him, bring him back to the Rapscallions, create her alibi, and then spy on them. How's that? It's pretty rough. Twisted Evil
Sarah
Sarah

Location : In Musicland to cause discord in Angie's perfect harmony..at the drop of a hat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:19 pm

Are we sticking with Rapscallions then? I'm okay with it, I guess, but if anyone has read any of the Redwall books, (Lord Brocktree, primarily), then you probably know what I'm thinking of.
That, and just straight-up scallions, the vegetable.
I think I like Vigilant or Enders better. (Maybe I'm biased, but I'm liking Enders more and more Smile
Angie
Angie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruthie Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:42 pm

How about the crew are some sort of a "mob" note the quotation marks,
that go around doing people's "dirty" work?
again, note quotation marks. It doesn't have to involve killing...
but anyways, how about they are in the tavern, discussing their next job...
ghosts could be involved, but they could be spirits who are threatened by a human force. The ghosts could be keepers of a treasure that they are trying to protect.
Hello everyone!!! it is great to have a thriving writing post:D
Oh, yeah, I guess I should pick a name too...
Skye- a shy, secretive girl who works at the tavern as well... she seems to know more than she lets on. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I know, I'm big on cliches lol
Ruthie
Ruthie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:48 am

Angie wrote:Are we sticking with Rapscallions then? I'm okay with it, I guess, but if anyone has read any of the Redwall books, (Lord Brocktree, primarily), then you probably know what I'm thinking of.
That, and just straight-up scallions, the vegetable.
I think I like Vigilant or Enders better. (Maybe I'm biased, but I'm liking Enders more and more Smile
Okay, I vote we abandon the name Rapscallions (because I don't know where else it was used--I thought I was being unique.) and call them the Enders, but I don't know how we can work that into the story so for now in the story they won't have a name but we'll call them the Enders so we know what we're talking about, see? (I'm a member of the APOLS: Association for the Preservation of Our Limited Sanity). I can see Vigilant as a more legit name that we can fit into the story, but not until the end of it, sort of as a set-up for the sequel (and there will be many sequels Cool ).

Raven wrote:How about the crew are some sort of a "mob" note the quotation marks,
that go around doing people's "dirty" work?
again, note quotation marks. It doesn't have to involve killing...
but anyways, how about they are in the tavern, discussing their next job...
ghosts could be involved, but they could be spirits who are threatened by a human force. The ghosts could be keepers of a treasure that they are trying to protect.
Hey Raven! Welcome to the club! jocolor It's really exciting how we're rolling along. bounce
I'm interested to see this as a sub-plot. Something to make our main plot more complicated, like, the Enders are trying to save the town but through the whole thing we've got this mob thwarting all their philanthropy.

I think pretty soon we'll have a solid enough story that we can start a sort of loose RPG where we play around with the story and characters as we progress. Smile Then things will get really hairy. What a Face
Dan
Dan
Game Host
"Sassy Moderator Boy"
Game Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:29 pm

I am very pleased to annouce the start of The Ender's First Quasi-Official Average Role-Playing Game! Cool (If you don't know what a RPG is, here's a brief summary: Everyone takes turns writing what their character is doing in the scene.) Now here's why this RPG is average: We're not going to stress about it. I have this problem when I do RPGs that I stress about how bad my writing is and so I postpone writing it and then I feel bad that I'm not keeping up and then I end up just slipping into the shadows and lurk and generally creep everybody out, so here are some tips to keep that from happening to you:
  • If you're writing is awful. Post it. We insist! Not only does it let us know you care, but it makes us feel we belong (because secretly we all think our own writing stinks).
  • Aim at posting a two-paragraph post once a week. That's really not too bad for an average RPG: We all have things we think we should be doing (but we decieve ourselves because what is more important in life than a pointless role-playing game on an internet forum that we don't know the purpose of?), so one post a week is fine. It's much better to progress slowly than not at all.
  • If you can't keep up, tell us; and be honest. You know, it's not a crime to not feel like writing for a week--you don't even have to apologize for it. So whatever it is that's keeping you from posting, tell us the truth and we'll promise to kill you quickly and almost painlessly.
  • If you fall behind, summarize briefly what your character was doing, (even if he/she just got distracted and wandered off to chase a cat while everyone else was fighting for their lives, that'll be a good thing to know when we go to re-write this).
Now, the purpose of this RPG is to get a very rough draft of the story we want to tell, just to force us to answer those questions that will come back to haunt us later (E.G. What is the name of the barman's daughter and what was she doing carrying an elephant tusk when elephant's don't even exist in our world? Or do they?). So basically we want to run through this whole thing as fast and as roughly as we can. There will be MANY other drafts, so don't worry if your plot isn't exactly superglue and your prose doesn't flow like sweet nectar, this is going to be ROUGH writing.
Lastly, it's okay if we want to lapse back into brainstorming partway through. I expect we won't get very far at all without having questions, so this thread will be half RPG and half brainstorming (and anyone can participate in one or both of those. Smile If you're hesitant to start in writing, we still want your ideas in planning: They're precious to us. Smile ) So don't be surprised if we take weeks off between RPGing to figure out exactly how one of the MCs is related to the (dead?) peddler man. Just let us know whether you're posting IC (in character) or OOC (out of character). My preference is to write [b]OOC:[/b] before a comment and to enclose actual prose inside [quote][/quote] It's also handy to "tag" other players and characters to let them know you would like them to respond to your post directly.

So, I guess I'll get this thing rolling along with the first post:IC: Lon
Lon drummed his fingers impatiently on the dirty table. He was this close to just leaving the dark corner of the restaraunt but decided to wait a few more minutes. This information was important enough to wait for, he decided. He had been gathering information on a group called the Crimson. It was the kind of group that grown-ups scared their children with, and Lon hadn't believed in them since he was nine--Until two months ago, that is. That was a month after his father had been murdered and he had found out the man who had done it--and since been hanged for it--had worked for the Crimson. The man Lon was supposed to have met here tonight had told him he had lots of information about the Crimson. It had been Lon's first big break in his search for the truth about his father's murder, or so he had thought.
He stared absently at the table across the room that the young waitress was wiping down. It was the second time he'd seen her do it tonight and it was the same pattern she had used on all the other tables. Finally he stood up and headed for the door.
There was a shout from outside.
Tag: Jimmy, Skye, anyone who wants to make up what the shout was about.
OOC: Lon is investigating Ruthie's mob guys. He wants to find out as much as he can about them and at least bring what he knows to the local printround (newspaper).
Dan
Dan
Game Host
"Sassy Moderator Boy"
Game Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:30 pm

IC: Ren
Ren was walking along completely minding her own business, completely ignoring everyone else in the crowded street, and completely ignoring the fact that it looked as if it might rain. She had just spent the afternoon shopping and as a result was loaded down with various bags and parcels. Although she knew she was in an area of town that her parents had forbid her to enter, she figured her parents would rather her home within a few hours of her curfew than hear that she went out of her way to avoid this disgusting little street. Her feet were killing her if she was honest with herself. She made a mental note not to wear six inch heels the next time she went shopping, but she also reminded herself that if her father hadn't been so irritating and let her use her usual carriage with her usual driver instead of walk. Mother would be furious with him when she found out, but Father seemed to think that she was "spoiled". Just because he had to live a "hard life" didn't mean she had to if she had the money to live otherwise.

She was nearly off the street and was doing such a good job at ignoring everyone and thing around her that she almost didn't notice the strange man blocking her way. Flashing him an indignant look she tried to step around him, but tripped over herself and found herself passing directly through the man's chest. Her newly bought items flung over the ground, she looked up at the man in time for him grin nastily and vanish before her eyes. That was when she began to scream.
Kara
Kara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:36 pm

Brainstorm:
So my character is Rita and she's a double agent. When do you think I should include her? Don't all reply at once! Smile
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Angie Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:44 am

Sarah: As soon as possible! That way all the characters will be familiar with her- by the way, is it a surprise, or can you say, is she a double agent on the good guys or bad guys?

Work, work, work. That seemed to be the sum total of his entire life these days, what with two jobs and all, Jimmy thought as he swept the floor. It wasn't the first time he had swept it today, or the second. People were always coming into the restaurant and dragging in dirt from the streets, and Mr. Hector Halipanas insisted on a clean floor.
"The tables, they eat off them anyway," Mr. Halipanas always said dismissively. "Just a quick wipe for those. But people always notice the floor, and that's gonna make them come back."
Jimmy thought Mr. Halipanas had a bit of a strange view on restaurant management. Which was probably why Mrs. Ida Halipanas ran the rest of it. They hadn't really needed Jimmy as an extra hand; money was running thin these days, and they couldn't afford it. But Ida was Jimmy's mother's third cousin once removed, and family always helped family. So Jimmy had taken on the restaurant job and was balancing it with the ghost-guiding he did every other night. It was a lot of work, but it helped to pay the rent on his family's house. Anything for family.
Jimmy was just working extra hard on a patch of ghost dirt (which was so hard to remove, since it wasn't quite solid and floated around for ages, but still solid enough so make the floor look dirty to Mr. Halipanas) when a sudden clatter came from outside, right near the front door, shortly followed by a scream.
He laid the broom against the nearest table and hurried to the door, bumping into a darkly-clothed man on the way out.
"Sorry," he said apolegetically, walking backwards for a few steps. "Very sorry about that, sir." Then he hurried out the door.
Tag: Whoever.
BTW, the dark-clothed man was supposed to be Lon, since I don't really know what he looks like.

I guess I'll describe Jimmy, just in case anyone needs to know...
He's medium height, with scruffy reddish-brown hair, some freckles, and brown eyes.

Last edited by Angie on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Angie
Angie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:20 pm

@Sarah. Does Rita work for the mob or the evil ghosts? Maybe she should pop up a little later, but putting her in now would make the reader suspect her less, which could be a good thing. I still have to work out what's going on in this scene.
OOC: Halipanas. Very Happy
OOC: Description of Lon: Tall, skinny, black hair, green eyes, thin, defined face. I guess he's wearing dark clothes, which would include a mysterious cloak in this story. I think.

IC: Lon
Lon was headed toward the door of the Halipanas' establishment when someone bumped into him from behind. Lon heard an embarrassed "Sorry," from behind him. A moment later a boy with reddish hair slipped past him. "Very sorry about that, sir." He reiterated.
"That's okay," Lon said, and smiled. The boy didn't seem to hear him, which wasn't suprising considering he and half the restaurant were moving outside to see what the commotion was.
By the time Lon got outside, there was a large crowd of people in the middle of the street. He decided to wait on the porch to see what would happen next. From there he could see a girl in the middle of the crowd shrieking hysterically, but most of what she said seemed intelligible. As Lon watched a gaudily dressed woman pushed through the crowd. She threw one end of her dead-animal-sized scarf over the girl's shoulder comfortingly.
"Just another visitor ghost-sighting," Lon heard a man at the edge of the crowd say.
Tag: Jimmy, Ren, Skye, Anyone.

@Kara. Unless you have other plans, I think Ren's mother should be abducted by the ghosts and her father should go hunting for her or something, which leaves Ren free to get caught up in the real story. Wink
Dan
Dan
Game Host
"Sassy Moderator Boy"
Game Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Erin Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:43 am

Alright. So Fern is sort of short, brown hair and eyes. A Plain Jane. She blends in well and wears pretty generic clothing. (Speaking of which, what kind of clothing would be generic?)

IC: Fern
Fern loved crowds. She could slip in and out of them with little problem, and always had some money for ale when she felt the need. A shriek had drawn a large crowd and her fingers were itching for a pocket. She waited, searching the throng for an easy target. What she saw nearly made her jump for joy. A wealthy looking woman was heading towards the center of the crowd. And Fern was right in her path. Fern bumped shoulders with the woman, managed a quick apology and began sneaking to the edge of the crowd.

With a sigh, Fern left the crowd and made her way towards a restaurant not far away. She took the coin purse she had taken from the wealthy woman and smirked at her expense. Fern would be drinking well tonight. A heavy hand on her shoulder held her back and she turned around, ready to fight off a possible threat. But she winced when she saw Lon standing behind her.

"I believe that belongs to the woman over there." He said, a slight frown on his face.

"Tell you what. Ale's on me tonight and we forget this happened." Fern said, backing away slowly. Before Lon could reply she ducked down and ran into a side street, laughing as she went. Now all she had to do was find a safe place to catch a few winks and she would be set. Fern came to a stop when she heard low voices coming from around the corner. She pressed herself against the wall and listened intently to a familiar voice...

Tag: Rita Let's see what our double agent is up to!
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:05 pm

Rita has long wavy red hair, piercing gray eyes, and a calm, yet superior air about her. She can be seen with a long bow thrown across her shoulders at all times with a quiver of arrows tucked away. Rita wears a cloak that keeps her camouflaged, breeches, and short (yet highly durable) leather boots.

IC: Rita

"...but it's not fair! I'm always the one doing the dirty work! Give me a chance to train another girl and I promise she'll be just as capable for any task." Rita pounded the brick wall forcefully. A silky voice replied, " And what are the chances that this "apprentice" will be just as stealthy as you? Hm?" Rita sunk into the shadows so It wouldn't see the doubt written all over her face. " Within a year. Give me that much time and you'll have a new slave presto." She made sure to put the emphasis on "slave". Rita knew this wouldn't change Its mind but she had one more trump card. Vaguely, she could almost sense a hint of a smile on Its face. "Done. One year and no more." Without a moments reply, it lurked back into the shadows.

Rita let out a much needed sigh that had been building up in her for quite some time. A cool breeze kissed her face as she realized she was too tired to care if anyone was listening to that pertinent conversation. I'll let the girl go this time. Probably a low- life wanderer. Still, it was impressive how she used her backround to blend in, and how she lengthened her breathing so she thought I couldn't hear her. The tall red-haired gray- eyed girl stood up and walked purposely in the direction opposite to that of the eavesdropper. As she headed out of the alley she brushed past a busy, familiar looking man and stopped. Interesting... she thought. Then went about looking for a decent shelter to rest her aching body for the night. That other matter shall be dealt in time.

Last edited by Dan on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing the MUCs. :))
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:10 pm

OOC : how do you put your portion of the story in that green shaded box? I tried. It failed. Sad
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:30 am

It's: [ quote]Your text here[ /quote] (without the spaces in the brackets).

So it should look like
Your text here.

Smile
Kara
Kara

Back to top Go down

Post by eLIZabeth Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:17 pm

Wow, I love it all! I've never tried creepy before, so this will be a totally new experience.
I've been wondering about my character, but I think I've got it.

Eva (the "e" sounds like a long "a") - She's always been a resident of the town, has had eperiences with the ghosts, but doesn't like to talk about them. (Frankly, she's just had enough of them.) A frequent visitor to the tavern, but doesn't drink much; just listens, watches, and thinks.

Maybe, later on, she could agree to work with the crew to save the town from the ghosts, or something...
eLIZabeth
eLIZabeth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum